... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Sunday, January 4, 2009

crochet hook case

I've been wanting to make a roll for my knitting needles for some time. So I dug through fabric scraps and pulled out a piece of grass green twill with embroidered flowers I got from a co-worker's de-stashing. It wasn't big enough for knitting needles but just right for crochet hooks. I was surprised how hard it was figuring how to put everything together in the right order. A lot of the design was driven by the fabric choice. I used basically all of the green twill. I had plenty of the lining fabric, so instead of sewing the two pieces together (and therefore losing some of the twill to the seam allowance), I used the lining fabric to create a border. My thread also didn't match that great, and I liked the solid green on the outside, so I had to figure out how to construct it so that the dividers between compartments were sewn only into the lining. The little tab is actually not very functional. I need to get some elastic or ribbon to tie it together... but it was a little leftover piece of the twill that happened to have a flower on it and I didn't want it to go to waste. I thought I might put a snap under it but then I'd always have to roll it up the same way which is sort of silly. There are some seams that could've been done better but overall I'm pleased with the result of my first non-flat, non-hemming sewing project :).

3 comments:

sukogirl said...

well done! i love it! i especially like the tab with the flower embroidery. nice detail and glad you did not let it go to waste.

Amy Badskirt said...

I think it looks terrific and it's functional. I like your contrast of grass green and the lining.

cignoh said...

very nice! i like the added flower tab detail too. i like how your design was informed by constraints and think you made great choices.