... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Saturday, January 3, 2009

original hem

Okay, so this isn't very creative or anything but it was a revelation for me so I thought I'd share... I scored some jeans on sale but as usual the short lengths are too short and the regular lengths are too long so my only option is to ignore lengths and count on hemming. The first pair I did like a regular hem - snip it off and fold under twice and sew. It worked okay since the jeans didn't have a lot of built-in wear - the wash was a fairly even dark blue. The other two pairs had pre-worn hems, so I looked up original hems on google and followed these instructions. It actually seemed to work, and was shockingly a lot less hassle than regular hems. You don't notice too much from farther than 2 feet away, and since they're at my ankles I'm assuming most people won't notice. I just hope they don't hang weird or flip up...

3 comments:

sukogirl said...

oh this is very useful! being a not so tall person myself, i find that i have to hem most of the pants i buy. did you use a special denim thread? and did your machine have any problem sewing demim? thanks for posting it. great job on the hemming!

cignoh said...

cool, i think it's great that you shared this. i have to hem all of my jeans, and the 2nd method is what i've been doing for years. it's very convenient. it helps if you iron in all the possible ways, and i don't usually have problems with them flipping or being noticeable. you can also cut off the remaining folded piece inside if it's a lot, but i've never done that before in case i want to change the length, which i did do once. i use navy thread usually but sometimes i get lazy and use whatever is on the machine, and i find that it isn't noticeable. i don't use a special needle, but i think there are heavier weight needles that you're supposed to use. when i get to the bump, i lift the ... whatever you call it... and hand crank and or push the fabric through myself, and then i continue to sew. hope that helps...

lanaconqueso said...

ha, awesome, i should've just asked you first Cindy :). I do use a denim needle, which I think is just sturdier than a regular needle, and navy thread. I also have to force it through manually sometimes over the really thick seams. On one pair I had cut it already because I was going to hem it the old way, so I trimmed the excess to about 3/4 in and finished the edge with an overlock stitch. I did the same for the second pair just because I had to hem it so much (3 inches) and didn't want all that fabric inside. I think it's good to leave about an inch extra on the inside, whether you cut it or not, just because it seems easier to tack and press up. And also in case you want to change the length later.