... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Friday, December 26, 2008

christmas cthulhu


christmas cthulhu
Originally uploaded by cignoh

i knit a cthulhu doll for j for christmas this year. it's from creepy cute crochet, which lanaconqueso showed me, and i ended up buying, despite the fact that i'm trying not to buy anymore craft books until i make at least one thing from each of the books that i own. i'm not that good at crocheting, so he is a little misshapen in parts, and his wings aren't really wing-shaped, but that's ok, it makes him one of a kind, i guess.

to photograph him, i experimented with a makeshift light tent with some success, but i'd like to work with it more. i was getting double shadows on the ground, plus, i couldn't get good shaping, which i guess is part of what happens if your subject is evenly lit from all sides. also, the top of my setup is open and exposed, which i think isn't supposed to be.

also, i mentioned this in a comment on sukogirl's flower washcloth post, but am saying it again in case not everyone saw---amy noticed that we have hit our 100th post---yay! happy holidays to everyone, and may the new year bring more creating, posting, and happiness for all!

5 comments:

ladylulu said...

I love this C and thank you for sharing your photographing technique. Photographing my stuff for my blog and etsy kills me.

I will be back on ITB soon - sorry I fell off the earth.

Happy Holidays!

lanaconqueso said...

!! he's so cute! awesome. I think that book is totally worth buying. I'm supposed to be on a craft book freeze too but I'm on the verge of caving for that book after the octopus (i'll post that shortly). Cool photo technique!

sukogirl said...

yes, he is very cute! i love his "whisker/beard" he reminds me of a character from a miyazaki film. does he have name?

sukogirl said...

what exactly is a cthulhu?

cignoh said...

hey! thanks yall! he was fun to make, and i'd like to make other things from the book...

a cthulhu is a giant green monster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu
http://www.cthulhu.org/cthulhu/index.html

for more info :)