... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Monday, March 17, 2008

Go try this now - Middle East Cast-On!

I have gone crazy with the knitting this past week. Maybe it has something to do with a local yarn store going out of business which led to my sudden ownership of beautiful yarns and knitting books with wonderful projects. My husband had to finally put his foot down b/c I would wake up and immediately start knitting and would knit until bedtime. Sigh .... Anyway, one of the projects I have been working on is a pair of socks for my grandmother. My recent yarn discovery has been the Koigu sock yarn. I love the colors and texture. Though I'm usually not a fan of entrelac, I was very intrigued by this pattern by Eunny Jang published in the Spring 2007 issue of Interweave Knits that I found while browsing through Ravelry. I thought it was well designed. A knitting friend of mine actually owned this issue and so luckily got a hold of the pattern sooner than later. I have gotten this far on the project. I'm not going to make the socks as long since they are for my grandmother. The socks are knit starting at the toe. My favorite thing about this pattern is that I learned the Middle East Cast-On which results in a seamless toe. It's very cool! On the other hand, I probably won't do another entrelac project.
I also just finished this headband for a friend of mine (also found on Ravelry). Here is the pattern. I used a skein of Noro Kureyon. I casted on only 100 sts. and used #7 needles. It's a little small, but I think it will still fit.

6 comments:

cignoh said...

wow, these both look gorgeous. i don't even know what entrelac is... what's it mean? also, the middle east cast on sounds cool. i made a lot of socks before that don't fit all that well, so i'd like to perfect them a little more, this sounds like a good way...

sukogirl said...

thanks! entrelac is the knitting technique that gives the weaved look. i don't like it so much b/c you have to pick up a lot of stitches which i am not so great at.

Robin D. said...

this woven pattern looks so cool and difficult! i hope you will show us the finished socks. it's funny that you mention eunny jang, as i was just looking through her old knitting blog (eunnyjang.com/knit) last week, wishing that i knew how to knit. her patterns are amazing. i really like the headband too. is the headband an easy pattern, as in something a beginner could make, or more complex?

sukogirl said...

yea, that's what i thought too about entrelac, but it's actually not that difficult, just tedious. i will definitely show the finished project, but don't expect that to be anytime soon. :P i like eunny's stuff too; she does come up with some very nice designs. the headband is very easy and quick. all you need to know is knit and purl, and maybe pass a stitch from one needle to the other. there are no special knits to decrease it; decreasing is done by just turning the work before you knit to the end if that makes any sense at all.

lanaconqueso said...

I was following eunny's blog before she became the interweave knits editor. she is a serious knitting badass. She has some great primers on lace too. Great work on the sock... I haven't tried entrelac but it looks hard! I knitted socks once and the worst part was that after I knit one I had to knit another one... :)

sukogirl said...

yes, eunny has some serious badass knitting skills. she has inspired me to start doing some lace work. i know what you are saying about the second sock ... i am a little worried that i won't have the patience to knit the second one. if it wasn't for my grandma, i would probably end up with one partially finished entrelac sock.