... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Sunday, June 22, 2008

drip drop


IMG_0324.cc.jpg

Originally uploaded by cignoh

today i tried to photograph water drops. i googled and read a little about doing it and loosely followed some of the techniques. i shot outside in bright sunlight holding a water bottle over the water and shooting in continuous mode. i didn't use a tripod. the water bottle didn't offer enough control, a dropper, as one of the articles suggests, would be a lot better. i don't know if i set my focus point carefully enough, so some of my drops were out of focus. i must have taken between 50-100 photos, of which only a few were useable/actually captured drops.

http://www.photosig.com/articles/1489/article
http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-photography-water-drops/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickwheeleroz/2440342279/

i would try it again maybe using colored lights, a tripod, or other things etc. for a different and possibly more precise effect.

here are more of my results.

4 comments:

Amy Badskirt said...

I think you did a great job with these and it is certainly a challenging subject. I really like your choice of location. The rocks beneath the surface give a nice depth and color palette. I also like how you've caught the light in the ripples.

Did you experiment with shutter speed and brackets or did you just set it to mega-fast mode? I think these are terrific. I wish I had the patience for this type of photographic experimenting.

sukogirl said...

wow! these are awesome pics! i love them. i agree with amy, you picked a nice location (the rocks are cool) and i also like how the light reflects off the water, and you caught the ripples very well. it reminds me of a photographer, Hashi, and his high-speed shutter photos. (http://www.hashistudio.com/html_protect/start.html)
checkout his Action Still Life series.

ladylulu said...

Yowzers! The composition is truly lovely and the subject challenging and well executed!

lila said...

Wow, I love that - it feels very calming and refreshing looking at those photos. Makes me want to go walking around in a stream somewhere. Looks like it took a lot of skill.