... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Turn Off the TV

Celebration of Playtime

When I was a kid I did not watch much television. I had my few programs, but I never had to be encouraged to "go play outside" or "turn off the tv." This is sort of amazing. As a thirty year old, I constantly have to be reminded to "go play outside" or "turn off the tv." I watch sooooo much television - not all crappy television, but lots of it is pure candy. (That is why I have made no appearances here on ITB.) So what better way to break the tv cycle then work on a tribute to some of my favorite childhood toys. I got the idea a few weeks ago, when I unearthed from my grandmother's beach house dresser, my jacks. I loved to play jacks, something you cannot play growing up in an apartment that is not on the first floor. I could play them at the beach house though. And play jacks, I did. But the idea, like drilling sea shells, and making books for wee-one, fell to the wayside as I handled summer plan logistics and watched Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations. Yesterday, I resolved to spend a good chunk of today working on my toy tribute, and I followed through. I am stepping away from it for the afternoon - it is still very much a work in progress. I have many more toys to fill the box AND unlike past cigar box projects, leaving any cigar box details seems wholly inappropriate, so I will be doing a lot of work to the outside of the box. That said, I thought that this project should find it's way in the world, so I am going to give it away. I just posted my 96th post on my blog, Lady Lulu's Braindump Hut and Craftarium. Comment on my 101st post and I will enter your name in a drawing and I will send this little box your way if I pull your name from my hat. I think this box will be charming for an adult or kid's room, don't you?

4 comments:

lila said...

Well, I am a big fan of television and feel no shame, but I must say your project is inspiring. I love how all the colors come together including with your backdrop.

ladylulu said...

Thanks Lila. I have no formal color training - I figure if I just use ALL of them they will compliment each other ;)

lila said...

True, but you made those colors come together in a really nice way -- for some reason make me think of a day at the beach.

sukogirl said...

What a fun idea! and yes, it would be charming for either an adult or child's room. I recognize many toys that i enjoyed playing with in your tribute so far. looking forward to the finished product!