... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

My First Post on ITB!

On January 31, 2008 I was not a blogger. Then, February 1 rolled around and I was a part of Thing-A-Day 2. Everyday of February I worked on something creative and blogged about it. By the end I was hooked and started my own blog. Even though I had struck out on my own, I had established creative relationships with a few folks, cignoh included. Cignoh has invited me to join in the fun here at icky tandoori buns, and how could I refuse. I am very excited to share some of my projects with you. Yellow Rail ATC.jpg I made my second ATC today; this time I used digital collage. I was inspired by a page I stumbled across in Why Birds Sing: a Journey Through the Mystery of Birdsong. The Yellow Rail's bird call sounds like a typewriter. I found an audio clip of it's call and you have got to listen to it - it is really incredible. The information I included on the ATC about the Yellow Rail is from Cornell Lab of Ornithology's All About Birds. The image of the Yellow Rail itself is by artist nineteenth century artist James DeKay.

5 comments:

Robin D. said...

it does sound like a typewriter! how cool is that! it would be interesting to be walking through a marsh and hear something like that. your ATC is very cool as well. i really like the way you've juxtaposed all of the bird facts with the old-fashioned typewriter background. do you keep your ATC in a scrapbook or trade them? just wondering...

Robin D. said...

i forgot to say this in my earlier post but welcome to ITB, lulu!

cignoh said...

yes, it totally does sound like one! i love what you've done as far as collaging everything together (ditto on everything that robinde said!)---it's an interesting and clever idea/composition/execution. also, i love that is is labeled 'Figure 1.' too... seems appropriate.

i felt silly b/c i had no idea what an ATC was, but i googled and learned:

http://www.paperpiecingpatch.com/Scrapbook_Dictionary_AI.htm

and yes! welcome to itb, i'm so glad you have joined us! :)

sukogirl said...

welcome to ITB! neat work (second all that was said previous to me) on your ATC and i liked how your post was very informative. it WAS very cool to hear the yellow rail sing. thanks for sharing!

ladylulu said...

Thanks!

(a)I did not know what an ATC was until about 2 weeks ago.

(b)Another fact about the Yellow Rail is that they tend to only make their call at night - just like a stereotypical angsty writer.

(c)robinde - This is only my second ATC but I will be looking to trade.