... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Salmon Patties!

Today I made salmon patties by combining two recipes (one from simplyrecipes.com and another from my mother-in-law) along with a couple of my own personal touches.  I was so pleased with the outcome that I wanted to share.  

Ingredients:

1 salmon filet
1/4 c white onion, minced
1 scallion, minced
2 tbsp each of green, yellow and red peppers, minced
1 egg
1/2 c panko bread crumbs
1 -2 tbsp horseradish
1/3 c Vegenaise
1 tbsp fresh dill or 1/2 tsp dried dill
1 tbsp flour 
salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp butter
lemon


Cook filet at 350F for approx. 20 min. ( I use my toaster oven for this). While the salmon is cooking, prepare the rest of the ingredients (except butter and lemon) and place in bowl. Remove the salmon skin (a treat for Nora!) and break salmon meat into small pieces and add to the bowl. Mix well with a fork and form 5 palm-sized patties. Melt 1-2 tbsp of butter in a frying pan at med-high temp. Place the patties in the frying pan, cook until one side is browned and then flip to brown the other side. Abt. 3 - 5 min. each side. I found that using a non-stick pan works best. Squeeze some lemon juice on top and I like to eat them with Maille A l'Ancienne (old style musturd).

I served today's patties with wilted arugula. YUM!

3 comments:

Robin D. said...

These sound so good... my mouth is watering! We try to eat salmon or rainbow trout at least once a week, and this will be a great variation on my usual pan-frying method. I wonder if the recipe would also be good with other types of fish. Maybe canned crab meat to make crab cakes? Or minced scallops? Just a thought. Do you have any good recipes for veggie burgers?

sukogirl said...

I bet this would work for other types of fish as well. Crab cake sounds lovely! I don't have any recipes for veggie burgers, but I do have a recipe for a mean black bean and rice burrito. Ohhh .... but wait, I did have one veggie burger recipe a long long time ago that was fairly yummy. If I can find it, I will post it.

cignoh said...

mmmm, yummy, these look and sound great! maybe if i'm feeling ambitious one day, i'll give it a try... yes please, you should post both your black bean and rice burrito and veggie burger recipe...