... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

balls and owls

Today I made a ball. I realize this seems insanely simple, but it's my second go. I finally managed to figure out how to make the end look sealed up nice and neat!! This is using random scraps that I had left over from other projects, so the colours don't match as well as I would like. I'd like to make more of them and pay special attention to colour. I'd also like to try cubes. I saw similar ones on etsy today which searching for some fabric that I ordered. I was jealous of how neat theirs looked, so I gave it a second try tonight.

This is Whippet. He was born out of this tutorial. He's another one of my "make it quickly" experiments. I have little patience for long projects. I prefer to finish something on the day I started it. Whippet is my new sewing helper. Craig said it was wrong to stick pins in him. He makes a crappy owl, but a great pincushion!

I've been doing lots of tutorials lately, but it helps inspire me to come up with ideas of my own while learning new techniques and stitches.

4 comments:

sukogirl said...

hey! awesome job on both projects. i can see that sealing up a ball is not trivial. At first I thought the whippet was a Totoro doll, but then realized that it wasn't. Still cute and it's nice to have company when working on projects.

cignoh said...

i like both of your projects too, they both turned out nicely... how do you sew up the ends neatly? are you sewing with your machine or hand sewing? or a combination of both? i had the same problem when i was making both my football and pig... any tips/advice would be appreciated...

Amy Badskirt said...

Most of the ball is sewn on a sewing machine. I learned that instead of cutting the ball shaps and then trying to sew on a small seam, it was easier to leave the fabric as large squares. As I sewed on new slices, I folded the old ones out of the way. When I got to the last inch, I used a slipstitch to close the ball. I didn't know what it was, so I googled it. I can't find the page I used as reference. Hope this helps!

lanaconqueso said...

whippet is adorable. Really nice job with the sphere... the only experience I can compare it to was when I tried to reshape large unisex t-shirts into women's shirts and always had trouble where the 4 corners met at the armpits. it was impossible and most of the time I ended up with a hole or misalignment of some sort. I can only imagine what that's like for the 6 points in the sphere...