... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Fortune Telling Display

Fortune - Take One Holy cow! The last two weeks have been totally crazy and I am happy to return to my totally nutso routine, because frankly I could use a routine (nutso or not). I was just itching to finish up my tribute to some of my favorite toys as a kid, teen, and adult - fortune telling novelties! I never did find my mini-Magic-8 ball, but when I do, I will just glue it to it's rightful place on top. I was sure to include just a little bit of everything (minus the Magic-8 and Ouija). Fortune Display Bottom Detail Fortune Display Back Fortune Display Top Detail I included the "gemstone" from a mood ring, one of those fortune tellers kids fold out of square paper, a palm reading chart, the super cool packaging from a Fortune Teller Miracle Fish (lining floor of inside), mini tarot, and horoscopes. I love creating little interactive pieces like this one (which invites you to help yourself to a fortune). I like encouraging people to look and touch objects on display in my home. In February I created a display of small objects of (personal) importance. Some people look at it, moving their head to peek around objects, other people remove objects and then return them, and some people close the display lid, hiding the objects. I certainly don't watch my guests to see what they do, but I always appreciate the different reactions when I do notice. The fortune telling piece is hung in my guest bathroom. I thought people were more likely to appreciate it and help themselves to a fortune if they were in private. As I don't have a medicine chest or cabinets in my guest bathroom, this will give my guests an alternative place to snoop!

4 comments:

sukogirl said...

neat idea! i really liked the one you did for TAD. It was one of my TAD favorites. what a great idea to have interactive art/displays for your guests. i love the tribute to fortune telling novelties. are these the original items you had as a child?

cignoh said...

i also remember your display for small objects of importance during thing a day and loved it... it's such a great idea, and especially good for someone like me who owns many small objects that are hard to part with. the fortune telling idea is great, i like the way you arranged everything, including cards along the bottom surfact, and like the idea of it being interactive for guests. i hope you find your mini magic 8 ball!

ladylulu said...

Thanks. These are not the original toys which are long gone to toy heaven.

lanaconqueso said...

what a great idea! i have lots of sentimental bits taking up space in shoeboxes. I'm not so good at coming up with interesting presentations though, so this is very inspiring.