... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Saturday, May 10, 2008

travel wallet

I tried to make this travel wallet for my mother-in-law for mum's day. Here is how this project went. I cut all of the pieces out. In the process of cutting some pieces, I accidentally knicked others. Cut again... Sew for a bit, realize I haven't cut enough for the pockets... Cut again, knick base fabric while cutting... Start over. This went on for two days until I finally surrendered to the fabric store. I bought an Olfa fabric cutter, a straight edge and a cutting mat. I'm totally a cutting queen now! I only use scissors on curves and twists. In this project, I learned quite a few things: 1. Having a template without directions does not necessarily make things easier 2. I can't sew as well the original creator of this pattern 3. Scissors are great, rolling cutters are better. 4. It's a snap to add snaps. I do wish I added more padding or interfacing to make the cover thicker, but not bad for my first go!

2 comments:

ladylulu said...

I love this wallet! Your mum is very lucky!

cignoh said...

i love your travel wallets, both are really cool, and very useful too! you mentioned that you tried a heavier fabric for your second one, what did you find worked better?

i like both designs but especially like how there are multiple pieces on the pink one.

also, i'd been tempted to get a rotary cutter, i might just have to now...