... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Friday, May 16, 2008

seam tutorial

In couple of the comments on a skirt post, I was asked how to do a french seam. I actually tried to make a tutorial on it but it didn't turn out how I liked. Today, I was reading Sew,Mama,Sew and found this awesome tutorial for all types of seams and when to use each. To make this post a little more exciting. I've uploaded a picture of today's project. This is my first stuffed animal. I made it from a pattern from Melly & Me. This was a practice version with cheap fabric to learn about how things would work. I didn't like the felt eyes that were recommended so I've left her blind until I get some animal eye buttons. I've named her lumpy and she's wonderful, despite all of her faults.

3 comments:

sukogirl said...

Great! Lumpy is awesome! any kids would be happy with Lumpy. Imperfections make stuffed toys (handmade goods) that much more special. At least that's is my belief. :P Do the legs actually button on? It would be cool to make a stuffed animal where you can button, snap and zipper parts on to their body.

cignoh said...

yeah, i like her, she's cute and has lots of character, which makes her more special, as sukogirl was saying... it doesn't look like the legs actually button on, but that is a cool idea... maybe i should make something like that as practice since i'm scared of zippers, buttons, etc. i like her mane a lot, was that hard to put on?

Amy Badskirt said...

Interchangable legs that snap/zip/button is great idea. I was thinking of making a dachshund this week, and I might give that a try. It would be my first zipper, if I did it. At the very least, a snap on legs would make it easier to sew!! For now, the buttons are just for show and help old the legs on. You pass a long needle back and forth through the body past the buttons.