... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Monday, May 5, 2008

first dress

Two posts in one day! I'm sewing like a madwoman. This doesn't even include my handbag project. Today was a public holiday, and I expected to fritter it away shopping and spending copious amounts of money. Unfortunately the stores were closed. I found this pattern from tiny happy and thought to myself, "how hard can this be." I grabbed some fabric, ignored the measurements and went to work. After heaps of cutting and sewing, I realized that my bra size is just slightly larger than your average 3 year old. What that meant is that I had no hope of that wrap dress working unless I went through a serious breast reduction. That seemed a bit extreme for my little B cup. I had a think and I went nuts. I turned it backwards ala the ever trendy hospital gown and whipped out this number. The back has a really sassy low cut. I need to get a better photo of it. Not too bad for my first dress. It looks nothing like what I planned for when I started, but I'm happy with it. I've got a few ideas for next time including having it right way around.

3 comments:

sukogirl said...

cute dress and pants! i'm so impressed how quickly you are making clothes.

cignoh said...

yes, i'm also impressed w/ how quickly you are sewing stuff! the dress looks cute, i'd like to see the back too. i like how you modified a dress for a 3 yr old, i wouldn't've thought to do that...

Robin D. said...

the kid's wrap dress pattern is really cute... i can see why you wanted to modify it for yourself. but yeah, the pattern is quite flat-chested. are you thinking of modifying the pattern with some pleats or using stretchier fabric?

your dress project came out nice too, like a sheath dress. does the back of the dress look like a wrap? can you post more photos sometime?