... about ... what's new ... how to ...

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

mountain peaks shawl

FINALLY. I've been working on this shawl a long time - the mountain peaks shawl from mimknits.com. It's a belated gift for mother's day. The first chart took forever... there was lace patterning on both right and wrong side. I'm pretty happy with everything except the border... it was attached perpendicularly to the edge and at that point there were HUNDREDS of stitches, no stitch markers, and I was in such a hurry that I didn't notice that i had done the 90-degree turn (at the very bottom tip) incorrectly so the lines don't meet symmetrically at the point. Notice how it's conveniently obscured in this photo... I also tried to hide the mistake with forceful blocking. There's so much going on that hopefully no one will notice, but I will admit, somewhat shamefully, that I was completely, inconsolably hysterical when I first saw it after almost 2 straight days of knitting. Fortunately for my sanity, I simply did not have time to frog and redo, so it's done, shipped, and I never have to knit that border repeat again.

2 comments:

cignoh said...

wow. this is exquisite... it's really amazing. i felt so bad to hear about the bottom edge... i can totally understand why it would be upsetting after having spent so much time working on such an intricate project... but it is just amazing... and i'm sure that no one will notice... so i'm glad that you sent it already. your mother is so lucky!

sukogirl said...

WOW! wow WOW! wow WOW! very impressive!
your mother is going to feel that much more special.